The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Interest in bolt-on external wastegate O2 housings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisonFab

Supporting Vendor
May 28, 2017
Johnson Creek, Wisconsin
Would DSM and any Evo1-3 folks be interested in us offering MHI/FP bolt-on EWG O2 housings? Some nice features here

-Tightly executed true 2.5" bend
-Exact wastegate placement we've found to clear any configuration (dipstick, 2g/Evo alternator stud, factory Evo radiators, etc)
-Can also be built with the various angles and bolt patterns of Evo 1, 2, and 3 specifically
-Dumptube that fits 1g AWD and stays away from intercooler piping
-M12x1.25 threaded outlet flanges
-Precise fitment accounting for weld shrinkage
-Easy hardware access etc

I know they are getting harder to find and don't think there are any options like this for Evo1-3 (why we originally made some a while ago)

$400 for the O2 housing, $80 for the dumptube

If some people want to get on the list, we will order up a batch of flanges and make it happen!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Im onboard, recirculated version for FP30 housing.

We offer an O2 housing specifically for the FP30 housing to go to the factory 2 bolt downpipe flange http://morrisonfabrications.com/product/dsm-fp30-o2-housing/ but it's not feasible to recirculate unfortunately. I mean you could, but there isn't room for a flex bellow just after the wastegate. The flex bellow is important to soak up expansion/contraction for longevity, and even more important for the FP30 since the wastegate flange is welded on and each housing is slightly different. The bellow is able to soak up some of that variance so it can still fit.
We do offer a partial downpipe (just like what's usually offered in our hot parts) that ends near the transfer case area though, and allows plenty of room for the recirculated portion and a nice angle of entry.

I would definitely be on board also for one of these o2 housing for my car!!!
Sounds great! We ordered up the flanges today, with around 4 weeks lead time for them, and will aim to have the O2 housings up on the website so orders can be nailed down :)

Flanges ordered!
3-4 week lead time for them to be cut, so orders won't be able to be started until then.

Officially added to the website: http://morrisonfabrications.com/product/mhi-external-o2/ for anyone looking to get an order in ahead of time

I have been meaning to ask. A stockframe external dump but with integrated side exit out of the bumper? It’s just an idea I’ve had for awhile. Clearly assuming the alternator is relocated but maybe even power steering deleted.
Absolutely, we've made them before and you are spot on about the alternator being moved to give a direct shot out the bumper

Pricing for 3" would be the same as the O2 eliminator style, $549, and 3.5" (shown in photos) would be +$100. For a 1g there is usually just enough room to route 3.5", but there isn't much clearance left over to account for engine movement.

I really don’t know enough about this yet so pardon my ignorance. Once I get hands on with this part of the build I’m sure it will all click better. My plan I think is: Your DSM replacement mani (sub for fp mani), FP ZERO BB turbo, what O2? This one? Want to recirc. If possible. Full 3” of course. Thanks.

Last edited:
Absolutely, we've made them before and you are spot on about the alternator being moved to give a direct shot out the bumper

Pricing for 3" would be the same as the O2 eliminator style, $549, and 3.5" (shown in photos) would be +$100. For a 1g there is usually just enough room to route 3.5", but there isn't much clearance left over to account for engine movement.
I figured someone at sometime had to make it. Is there a way or room to recirc the dump into the exhaust?

I have been meaning to ask. A stockframe external dump but with integrated side exit out of the bumper? It’s just an idea I’ve had for awhile. Clearly assuming the alternator is relocated but maybe even power steering deleted.
Don’t have to relocate the alternator or delete the power steering if done like this

Don’t have to relocate the alternator or delete the power steering if done like this
No, but from our perspective the reason for a side exit is being able to have a nearly straight path out

I figured someone at sometime had to make it. Is there a way or room to recirc the dump into the exhaust?

We can and is a $200 option. Often folks prefer to just do a downfiring dumptube since there won't be a discernible difference in noise level with an open side exit to begin with, but also understand if there is a preference or bellypan/tray etc to work around

I really don’t know enough about this yet so pardon my ignorance. Once I get hands on with this part of the build I’m sure it will all click better. My plan I think is: Your DSM replacement mani (sub for fp mani), FP ZERO BB turbo, what O2? This one? Want to recirc. If possible. Full 3” of course. Thanks.

There are some options, which hopefully doesn't make it more confusing but rather be easier match exactly what you're looking for.

For a direct bolt on, these O2 housings are exactly that, and will work with your existing downpipe (and all of the common factory/upgraded downpipes). Space is tight between the factory flanges, but we made good use of it, and is 2.5" vs the factory ~2"

We've also been making the 2 bolt eliminator MHI downpipes for a while too, which aren't a direct bolt on anymore but greatly open up the bend off the turbo as you can see, and have a great connect/disconnect point with a well placed v-band assembly by the oil pan. Also 2.5", transitioning to 3" after the first bend (MHI turbos are often less than 2.5" outlet to begin with). Still clears all factory components, you'll just need to splice/weld it into your existing downpipe since it ends with a flex bellow near the transfer case area.

Both offered recirculated, with the 2 bolt eliminator lending itself a bit better to it with a nicer re-entry/merge angle.

The FP Zero is great, but whenever you're looking into complete hot parts around that turbo (especially recirculated), it may be worth taking a look at the Xona IWG stuff which ends up surprisingly comparable price wise and some really nice design features built in

Great info thank you, and yes I just have more questions now I think. This part of the build is a ways off still so I will investigate everything you mentioned. Is it stupid if I say I like the looks of the external wg setups better? LOL.
If I don’t don’t recirc does it makes things easier? Still not entirely sure the pros and cons of the two performance wise.

That's a good question on recirculated vs open/dumptube performance wise.

Mostly applies to external wastegate setups and if the wastegate routes back into the exhaust or dumps directly out the dumptube, but can also apply to internally wastegated setups as well:

The main reason for recirculating the wastegate vs open dumptube is often just noise preference under full boost. When boost builds and you get near your target psi, the wastegate will begin to open and either recirculate back into the muffled exhaust or straight out the open dumptube. Recirculating will keep a quiet car subtle at WOT without masking turbo intake noise, and a dumptube will abruptly scream at full tilt. A car that already has a loud/minimal exhaust won't have as stark of a difference and a dumptube can sort of blend in overall. It's still pre-turbo exhaust coming out, and keep in mind that at low target boost and power levels, the wastegate will open fairly early and you risk making more decibels than horsepower ;)

Performance wise, there are things to keep in mind on a recirculated setup. It's important to keep a good re-entry angle when recirculating back into the main exhaust, otherwise it can disturb the flow coming out of the turbine when the wastegate is open/bypassing exhaust. You want it aimed in the same direction as the main exhaust flow and so it can smoothly join it, and also follow the swirl direction coming out the turbine wheel itself when applicable.
A recirculated setup always has the entire exhaust flow going through the full exhaust, vs a dumptube that just dumps some of the exhaust ahead of time. So a recirculated setup may not be able to get away with an undersized exhaust as well. But, the higher you raise boost, the more the wastegate is held shut, so the overall difference between recirc/not may become less when you push things anyway.

That's a lot of focus on the potential performance downsides though.

Years ago, I went from a recirculated setup to a non-recirc/dumptube, fully expecting to see a measurable difference at the track when pushing the hx35, but saw no difference at all in trap speed or ET.
More recently, there was a client's Evo with a recirculated setup through a 3" full exhaust that made 880whp on a GTX3584RS at 44psi, which we never would have expected.

If it's done thoughtfully there shouldn't be much difference or concern with performance, and usually just comes back to preference and/or intentions with the car.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for that. I’ve been a little afraid to ask that question as I figured most here already knew the answer. Great info thanks again you two!
So yah y’all are going to build me some cool SH:t one day! LOL.

This with the side exit is exactly what I've been searching for!!! How do I get put on the list? LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back