The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Balanced a Clutch for my 1G Documented

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadSciHighPSI

Probationary Member
Apr 18, 2018
Milford, Connecticut
Long post on clutch development and the possible importance of clutch balancing for applications. Yes, this is likely overkill, but transmission parts are unobtainiun and I'm sick of changing clutches.

Forward: Speaking with a few transmission builders and going through a few clutches keeping the clutch as my fuse to prevent gears from shearing in over torque situation.

Combination = full weight 1g DSM 6 bolt AWD with 340 tq and 396 HP.

Previously clutch combos
2600 ACT + act street disc stock flywheel = burnt street disc
Southbend TMZ prepped 2900+ act street disc and act flywheel TMZ prepped = burnt disc
Southbend 2900 TMZ prepped+ kevlar disc + act flywheel TMZ prepped = welded to flywheel (likely due to clutch drag after 2nd adjustment = user error)

New combo = TMZ 2900 Southbend prepped + kevlar/carbon towards flywheel + ACT TMZ prepped flywheel.

Attached are images of clutch balancing because I was urged to balance the clutch + flywheel + pressure plate

Factory crank was out 3.6 grams, got that to 0.6 grams out of balance

Act flywheel applied and stayed at 0.6 grams, so that was balanced properly

Pressure plate applied and was out 2.6 grams and after slight grinding was out 0.6 grams

Will this make a difference? I have no idea, but wanted to share with the community.

Pictures attached of balancing final spin and before final spin of balancing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back