The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Differences between 1996 Eclipse European and USA/CANADA versions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbryant_knight

Proven Member
Oct 15, 2012
Newcastle Upon, Europe
HI All,

I have a 1996 Eclipse, European Version, and i'm after a definitive list of the differences between mine and the USA/Canada versions.

I have just recieved my Chiltern Workshop Manual and it says in small print on the front "For all USA and Canada models 1990 - 1998".

I know my engine has a N/A version of the 4G63 engine and since getting the car i've already managed to order the wrong timing belt kit by mistake.

Can anyone give me a definitve guide on what parts are different between mine and the USA models? The car goes into the garage next week to have the water pump and timing belt kit done.

Any help appreciated. :thumb:

Peter

Taillights, side mirrors and the front fenders are different are the ones I know of. Taillights have amber on yours, just red over here. Side mirrors fold on yours, ours are static (also a different shape because of that). Front fenders have a hole on he side for the turning signal for yours, ours are on the front bumper only.

I acuired some Euro Tail lights for my first gen since I have been stationed in Italy, I didn't grab the mirrors though, now I wish I would have but they were not power. Grabbed some M3 fender turn signals and custom fabbed them into my fenders. Actually looks pretty good. The best part is being de-badged and the talon front center piece with the talon rear center piece they have no idea what the car is!

It was more the engine differences i was interested in. The body differences are easier to spot but i have no clue about the engines.

peter

Some of the parts are different. For example, i bought a 4G63 timing belt kit but luckily the company that sold it to me looked up my reg and with it being a eurospec it needed an extra belt and pulley. Just little things like that.

It came without a MAF at all and a bit of what can only be described as tin foil for an unduction kit. I managed to get a second hand MAF off a 4G63T shipped from the stateswhich people on here say should fit.

Peter

There are some differences like (obviously) no turbo, higher compression ratio, weaker drive shafts, weaker clutch... Oh and the cam shafts are different, too. I bet there are lot more things.

My brother lives in Newcastle upon Tyne. I would like to see his face when he notices an Eclipse on a british road, haha

Some of the parts are different. For example, i bought a 4G63 timing belt kit but luckily the company that sold it to me looked up my reg and with it being a eurospec it needed an extra belt and pulley. Just little things like that.

It came without a MAF at all and a bit of what can only be described as tin foil for an unduction kit. I managed to get a second hand MAF off a 4G63T shipped from the stateswhich people on here say should fit.

Peter

The wrong timing belt you almost got was probably for a 420a engine.

The 4g63T and the 4G63 N/A should all use the same timing belts.

Are you trying to find out what the differences are between a 4G63, and a 4G63T? Or are you trying to find out the differences between a 4G63 and a 420A?

96 Eclipse turbo cars would have the same engine here, there, or anywhere.
96 Eclipse N/A cars would have a 420a Chrysler engine in the US, but in Europe would have a DOHC 4G63.

Really just the differences between the European engine spec and the USA engine spec.

I thought the engine parts would be the same for a 4G63T and the 4G63 engine, minus the Turbo parts but i've been told there is more to it than that.

Peter

Injectors, compression, pistons, air filter all would be different just to name a few

Cheers Bobby. I know you sent me that link but im thinking there are no other differences.

Silly question, but what way round are the engines in the US Turbo Models? are the belts on the right as you look into the engine and the air filter on the left like mine or the other way round?

Same way as yours.

I would have never guessed there was a difference between a 4g63 here and there. I had a stock 4g63 non turbo eclipse awhile back and the same timing kit for the turbo was used and worked.

Like said above, are you sure the timing belt kit you got wasn't for a 420a non turbo american model??

And for your manual, a 1g manual may work better for your engine work. As I said above, the 4G63 non turbo was an option for a lot of 1gs.

it is different height Eclipse gs
Us version is 49.8 in
Europe 1295 mm 50.9 in
What does this difference depend on?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back