The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1G exhaust manifold known to crack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANGELRAY

Proven Member
Jan 29, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
I saw on a thread that The exhaust manifold on 1G DSMs are notorious for cracking and leaking. The solution is to replace it with a ported factory 95-99 exhaust manifold, an Evo 3 manifold, or an aftermarket tubular header.

Solution
Is it true? You answered your own question when you stated what the solution was :)

Yes, it's true. The evo3 manifold also flows more exhaust gas than a 1g manifold, so if you're pushing your turbo, it's a worthwhile benefit.
The much improved casting is its own reward too.
Is it true? You answered your own question when you stated what the solution was :)

Yes, it's true. The evo3 manifold also flows more exhaust gas than a 1g manifold, so if you're pushing your turbo, it's a worthwhile benefit.

Solution
I saw on a thread that The exhaust manifold on 1G DSMs are notorious for cracking and leaking. The solution is to replace it with a ported factory 95-99 exhaust manifold, an Evo 3 manifold, or an aftermarket tubular header.
Many common topics are discussed in the resources link at the top of the page. You have decades of research and development at your fingertips.

And I saw that it would be useful to use a catch can but I don’t know the benefits to it and where would I be able to get a evo3 manifold ??

You posted in another thread. You don't have an oem manifold. You have a forced performance exhaust manifold.

I've seen cracked FP manifolds too. Nothing is immune. I think we all can agree that the Evo manifolds, especially the later castings, have the best chance at a long life and they were only introduced about five years after the 1G manifolds were.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back