The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Need help finding best TPS and fuel pressure regulator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redd_the_1g

Probationary Member
Mar 29, 2024
Newcastle, Wyoming
my 1g eclipse gs sputters pretty bad upon take off anyone have ideas? i was told it could be a tps because it also has a bit of an idle surge. also was told could be fuel pressure regulator. Any other ideas?

idle surge is more often caused by a post-MAF vacuum leak. on a NT you have much less piping but it's still possible you're allowing unmetered air in. check all your air intake hose clamps.

Then I'd adjust the idle position switch to make sure it's working off a closed butterfly and it's not opening your thottle plate any. An idle position switch that opens the throttle plate allows more air in than it should, so your RPMs raise until it hits the cutoff point. Since your idle switch is reporting a closed throttle, the ECU cuts injectors, then RPM drops. RPM drops to the point where it needs to turn the injectors back on, and you're performing a loop. It doesn't much opening of the throttle plate to allow past a LOT more air.

The TPS you could adjust to read 1.5v at idle, it wouldn't change how it idled.

A malfunctioning FPR not allowing enough fuel in could theoretically raise the RPMs but I've run pretty damn lean at idle (16-18:1) on a deliberate mis-tune, and it never raised high enough to reach the cutoff or entered surge. Plus, it would run really, really rough.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back