The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved 2G Is this nick in camshaft journal a problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT_4G63

Proven Member
Mar 23, 2021
Saugerties, New_York
Upon removing my valve seals for replacement it appears I nicked the edge of a cam cap. It is really hard to get a good picture of what I am referring to, but I tried. The nick isn’t on the contact surface of the cam cap, but rather the “edge” that forms a 90-degree angle between the surface the cam rides on and the side of the cam cap.

I circled the area I am referring to in the picture.

The nick doesn't catch a finger nail or a shop towel when run against it, and the light has to catch it just right for it to even be noticeable.

Can I still run this head? Opinions would be appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It will be OK. If it makes you feel better, take some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and just work the little nick out. If you can't feel it, your OK. It is just aluminum and the cams are hardened steel so it will conform if it needs to.

Thank you for the reply, as always.

I was thinking the aluminum head vs. steel cam would work in my favor, so thank you for that reassurance.

I was hesitant to hit it with any abrasive for fear of making it worse, but if I do, I'll go with the 1000 grit like you suggested.

Thank you again

Oh man, you should see my head's journals LOL
they're smooth but they've been nicked and banged over the years of its life. On the edge and as long as it's not poking upwards, you're fine. Absolutely agree with Marty. The 1000 grit is just to remove any high spots.

I have used heads with FAR worse issues. You are worried for a reason but that little burr will smooth out and you are fine. Rest easy!
If you sand it, CLEAN it, just a reminder. No grit in the motor! :thumb:

I sand EVERY single head and set of caps I am servicing. I haven’t seen a head in over 15 years that didn’t have some sort of damage to at least one journal and cap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back