The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G CAS sensor broken wire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can I splice the white into the blue red?

No, you need to reattach it to pin 1.

There is how a 1G CAS is connected on a 1G. The white wire on pin 1 is for the cam angle signal, The black wire on pin 2 is for the TDC (crank angle) signal. The red wire on pin 3 is the switched +12v power and the black wire on pin 4 the ground.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

On a 2G with a 6-bolt swap the 1G CAS is often wired like this. Ignore the yellow wire color it's still the crank sensor signal on pin 2. The actual wire colors will depend on where the connector came from but you need to make sure the correct pins are wired to the correct places.

That thing looks mangled, get a whole new connector and be done with it. BTW, it's not the original connector for a 2g, that's a 1g cas.

I fixed it I was confused because people are telling me car won’t start with white disconnected it runs fine but is the white used or not anymore?

Not only is it mangled but it look like some of the wires are solid copper not stranded and the ground wire has broken insulation.

2G's have two individual sensors where a 1G has them combined in it's CAS. When you swap a 1G engine into a 2G you have several choices to make regarding how and where you get the Crank and Cam information from. Mixing and matching 4G63 parts only makes this more convoluted like running a 1G head on a 2G block or a 2G head on a 1G Block.

Both early and late 2G's 4G63s have a crank angle sensor mounted on the front of the engine by the crankshaft. If you have a block that has the mounting points for this sensor it common to continue to use it. 95 and 96 2G's have a cam angle sensor mounted on the timing belt side of the head under the intake cam sprocket where the later versions have it located on the clutch side of the intake cam like a 1G CAS is located.

The three pin connector you show looks like the 2Gb CPS with it's Black, Blue/Red, and Red wires. The Red and Black wires are switched +12 and ground. The Blue/Red wire is the Cam Angle signal from pin 88 on the ECU.

The Crank Angle Sensor on the front is also a three pin connector triangle shaped with Black, Blue/White, and Red wires. Like the Cam Angle sensor the Red and Black wires are the same switched +12 and ground and the Blue/White is a crank angle signal.

In you video you say that there was a blue wire in pin 1 but I suspect that just not knowing how the pins are numbered because it looks like the open spot on your connector is pin 2 which would be the Blue/Red wire from the ECU..

You'll note again that the 1G CAS can provide both cam angle and crank angle signals. You don't have to use both when swapping depending on what parts are being used. Pin 1 on the 1G CAS is the cam angle signal and if you are using the CAS to provide that, the wire to pin 1 would connect to the wire that was on pin 2 of the 2Gb cam angle sensor connector. (the Blue/Red wire connected to the White wire in pin 1 of the 1G CAS connector.)

If you also needed a crank angle signal, 1G CAS pin 2 would be connected to the wire that was in pin 2 of the front crank angle sensor connector. (what looks like a Black solid wire might run to the Blue/White wire from the crank sensor.)

Not only is it mangled but it look like some of the wires are solid copper not stranded and the ground wire has broken insulation.

2G's have two individual sensors where a 1G has them combined in it's CAS. When you swap a 1G engine into a 2G you have several choices to make regarding how and where you get the Crank and Cam information from. Mixing and matching 4G63 parts only makes this more convoluted like running a 1G head on a 2G block or a 2G head on a 1G Block.

Both early and late 2G's 4G63s have a crank angle sensor mounted on the front of the engine by the crankshaft. If you have a block that has the mounting points for this sensor it common to continue to use it. 95 and 96 2G's have a cam angle sensor mounted on the timing belt side of the head under the intake cam sprocket where the later versions have it located on the clutch side of the intake cam like a 1G CAS is located.

The three pin connector you show looks like the 2Gb CPS with it's Black, Blue/Red, and Red wires. The Red and Black wires are switched +12 and ground. The Blue/Red wire is the Cam Angle signal from pin 88 on the ECU.

The Crank Angle Sensor on the front is also a three pin connector triangle shaped with Black, Blue/White, and Red wires. Like the Cam Angle sensor the Red and Black wires are the same switched +12 and ground and the Blue/White is a crank angle signal.

In you video you say that there was a blue wire in pin 1 but I suspect that just not knowing how the pins are numbered because it looks like the open spot on your connector is pin 2 which would be the Blue/Red wire from the ECU..

You'll note again that the 1G CAS can provide both cam angle and crank angle signals. You don't have to use both when swapping depending on what parts are being used. Pin 1 on the 1G CAS is the cam angle signal and if you are using the CAS to provide that, the wire to pin 1 would connect to the wire that was on pin 2 of the 2Gb cam angle sensor connector. (the Blue/Red wire connected to the White wire in pin 1 of the 1G CAS connector.)

If you also needed a crank angle signal, 1G CAS pin 2 would be connected to the wire that was in pin 2 of the front crank angle sensor connector. (what looks like a Black solid wire might run to the Blue/White wire from the crank sensor.)
Thanks I soldered them back in pig tail is coming in the mail I didn’t do the swap I’m fixing a mess of a car

From your other post it was clear you got yourself a basketcase, so I'm trying to give you an idea of the resources at your disposal and some of the issues you'll have to identify to be successful along with enough information so you can figure it out.

From your other post it was clear you got yourself a basketcase, so I'm trying to give you an idea of the resources at your disposal and some of the issues you'll have to identify to be successful along with enough information so you can figure it out.

Some of the things

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back