The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Crankshaft Messed Up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thornyrose26

Probationary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Los Angeles, California
I'm currently looking to buy a 7-bolt crankshaft and came across one on FB marketplace from an Evo 9. The seller sent me a video of the crank and I noticed on one of the edges next the one of the journals it looks like it's been chipped or something. In the photo you can see it on the left side of the journal (its much shinier than the right side). Would that make this crank no good?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mileage on the crank is unknown according to the seller.

I've also posted original video if anyone cares to watch it.

Last edited:
I'm referring to the part in the red box. It almost looks like a chip or it was grinded off or something

It's possible the crank had been to a balancing shop. My Eagle crank got a treatment like that (much more professional looking, but material ws taken off at the shop).

I was thinking that too but it seemed a bit too messy for that to me. To be fair tho, I don't have a lot of experience working/inspecting engine internals.

Looks like balancing maks made with a die grinder to me.
I'd ask if it was checked for straightness too as you don't know where it came from. What the numbers there are
It's hard to say how much without a good pic comparing adjacent lobes. It could be only a few tenths of a gram of the very surface, which still goes shiney as soon as you grind it.

For sure, I asked the seller regarding the marks though he hasn't responded. Based on his post it doesn't seem like he knows all that much on what's been done with the crank.

I may lean towards passing on this crank but I'll see if the seller has anything else to say.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back