The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Assembly sequence while on engine stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troppo loungo

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2009
Toronto, GTA, ON_Canada
What is best sequence to install while on engine stand? I know it doesn't matter on some items. 7 bolt.
My guess:
Lower timing cover
Crankshaft pulley
Water pump and PS pulleys
Exhaust manifold. With or w/o turbo?
Front engine Bracket
Thermostat housings
Coolant pipe
Turbo water and oil lines
Dip stick tube
PS bracket
Engine mount bracket driver side
PS pump
Alternator
Belts
Front and rear roll mounts
Intake manifold and bracket
Starter plate
Starter (maybe after flywheel?)
Fuel and ignition stuff
Eventually flywheel, clutch and transmission

AC delete

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
There really isn't a "best" way, it's all a logical progression of adding on the parts. The stuff that can go on in any order doesn't really matter what order it goes on anyway.

For instance, for coolant-fed DSM flanged turbos, you can't install the turbo after you've done the water pipe and the exhaust manifold.
You can do exhaust manifold then the turbo, then the pipe, but it doesn't make much logical sense to go that direction.

I leave the intake manifold OFF so I can get to the rear roll stop and the starter. Bolting up the intake isn't hard to do but those 2 things are harder to do with the intake ON. Plus I have more "room" when sitting it down in the bay. Just how I go about it. There has to be a million ways, it's just mine.

Intake manifold makes sense, thanks. I will be installing a water and oil cooled dsm flanged turbo so what's the recommendation for installing ex mani, turbo, water pump pipe and turbo lines? Bench assemble some of it?

As much as possible, by all means. Same with Intake and Throttle Body stuff. I have even left a turbo on a mani and bolted it back up (coming again soon, dammit). Anything that can be "pre-assembled" should be for convenience in my book! :thumb:

to lessen the stress on that part of the water pipe, I usually lightly install the turbo to the exhaust manifold and then fit both in at once. it can be a little wiggle-inducing to get everything over the exhaust studs, but patience and angle are key.
do it turbo bolts in lightly and dont crush the manifold-turbo gasket until everything is in place. then snug up your turbo, then snug up the water and oil lines

Personally I wouldn't put the timing cover. I always visually make sure first that absolutely no leak from the front case/water pump, and the belt tension while and after the initial startup, and then put it back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back