The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well everyone, I have officially pulled the plug on trying to get the A87 to shootout. Just too many small little things here and there not to mention the one large thing I didn’t get squared away, which is the trans. BUT, I am still chugging along and have most everything lined up to get the car progressing. Here is an update with the interior going back together and the next one should be the rebuilt sunroof going back in.

Sorry for those that wanted to see it in person this year but it will 100% be ready for next year.

1693601795637.jpeg

1693601832826.jpeg

1693601853753.jpeg

That assembly looks trick, imma hafta copy you there, or at least attempt. What coatings are those? Can’t remember if it’s in the build somewhere.

That assembly looks trick, imma hafta copy you there, or at least attempt. What coatings are those? Can’t remember if it’s in the build somewhere.

Are you referring to the brackets and the pedals themselves? Everything is powder coated though. I did the pedals in a flat smooth finish but everything else I did in a wrinkle splatter black is what the coaters called it LOL. I freaking love the look of it so I tried to do everything I could in it hahaha.

Are you referring to the brackets and the pedals themselves? Everything is powder coated though. I did the pedals in a flat smooth finish but everything else I did in a wrinkle splatter black is what the coaters called it LOL. I freaking love the look of it so I tried to do everything I could in it hahaha.
Yes exactly was wondering if it was all powder coated and what “type”. I’ve been wondering what I could do to make all those pieces look better, like the center pieces too as you did. Yah definitely gonna copy you bro. Even if no one will ever see them! LOL:cool:
Probably stupid question, the red paint just to mark where they are torqued?

Yes exactly was wondering if it was all powder coated and what “type”. I’ve been wondering what I could do to make all those pieces look better, like the center pieces too as you did. Yah definitely gonna copy you bro. Even if no one will ever see them! LOL:cool:
Probably stupid question, the red paint just to mark where they are torqued?

Yeah man, I tried to coat any metal piece I could. No more worry about rust or exposed metal. Only issue you could have is that some of the brackets are used as ground connections. This would leave the choice of using a tool to strip the new bracket at the connection as well as the mounting points where it connects to the structure, OR moving the ground connections to another area (which is what I am doing).

And yup! That is exactly what the red torque stripe is for. It is a visual indicator that I have tightened the bolt or nut to final spec and nothing is loose. Just an extra step I take to make sure everything is 100% correct.

Don’t feel bad, you’d rather have the car sorted than be another stereotypical “shootout crunch” guy. Every year I see at least 10 cars that were slammed together the week before in a rush drug across 2 states untuned then either don’t make a pass or grenade something all over the track, never worth it to be that guy, just enjoy the event and know you’ll be showing with something worth while next time. Shoot I live 30 minutes away and Norwalk is my home track, and I’ll have to have absolutely nothing better to do that weekend to go to the shootout this year.

Don’t feel bad, you’d rather have the car sorted than be another stereotypical “shoutout crunch” guy. Every year I see at least 10 cars that were slammed together the week before in a rush drug across 2 states untuned then either don’t make a pass or grenade something all over the track, never worth it to be that guy, just enjoy the event and know you’ll be showing with something worth while next time. Shoot I live 30 minutes away and Norwalk is my home track, and I’ll have to have absolutely nothing better to do that weekend to go to the shootout this year.

That is exactly my thought process. Even if I did just get it to a push around on dollies state, I would be having to put stuff back on that is not ready to be and kinda short cut things. That is not acceptable to me, so just going to pull the plug on getting the car there. I will of course still be attending and picking up some goodies so hope to still see everyone.

Will do im redoing a lot of mine im gonna take it there on its own power next year. So im rethinking the car dusty.

Balanced all the short block parts and got everything final torqued. Friendly reminder to always check the torque with a stretch gauge! Mine were very different than the recommended starting torque form ARP.

1696020990624.jpeg

1696021023552.jpeg

1696021060384.jpeg

Here are the final numbers and you can see how far off some are for stretch.

1696021333521.jpeg

Looks great. Really fun and easy to work on the cars when they're torn down this much. You really get to know the car and it's not as stressful having to fight everything that's in the way.

Thank you dude, and yeah that’s exactly right. Most people never get a chance to see the cars stripped down this far so trying to be as detailed and critical as I can. Just hoping to help others if they are thinking of doing the same thing or are stumped where things are/go. More to come soon.

So for the tail housing section, I used the oem sealant recommended in the rebuild manual. The center and forward housings actually go together with no sealant OR gasket. There is a shim used for setting the contact pattern and back lash but that is it. Where are you trying to place a gasket and where would you even GET a gasket for it??? The o-ring is what will keep the cases from leaking.

1696195729796.png

Youll get there man im going to redo a lot of my dsm next year before shootout. Its going to be a rolling project shes almost ready for the road, cosmetics will be when its warmer out.

Youll get there man im going to redo a lot of my dsm next year before shootout. Its going to be a rolling project shes almost ready for the road, cosmetics will be when its warmer out.
Heck yeah man.. keep at it. Btw, I tried to call you AND texted you while at shootout. Never heard back from you though! Drove up and spent half a day with Raf as well. Hope to meet up with you next year. Should have the GSX and the Evo done by then.

Maybe I didn't get the call for some reason yeah. Im.on track to have mine there i got a time now that I needed . Ik headed to raf to get some parts later this fall . Keep at it that build is something else. You should take a book of the progress with pics. To the shootout .

Brakes are finally finished.. took a LOT of modding the oem knuckles and I would definitely not do the same approach next time LOL. If you are reading this and thinking of doing an Evo 8/9 brembo swap on your front, buy the Galant knuckles that makes it a direct bolt on. I do NOT recommend what I did hahahaha. And also, you CAN absolutely use all the dust shields. Just have to cut the outer lip off them and hood to go.

1697834940994.jpeg

1697834970255.jpeg

1697834991152.jpeg

1697835011260.jpeg

Results are still amazing though.. front a huge headache. Rears almost direct bolt on.

1697835058482.jpeg

1697835083760.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back